MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte’s promise to cut travel time from Cubao in Quezon City to Makati City in just five minutes is feasible, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Mark Villar said Monday.
“Some projects directly affect Edsa. Some projects indirectly affect Edsa. But overall, we expect that the President’s statements are backed by very solid projects,” Villar told reporters after the Pre-Sona Economic and Infrastructure forum in Pasay City.
Pressed if the President’s promise is possible, Villar said: “Kaya.” (It is doable.)
Usually, Cubao to Makati could take almost an hour via Edsa, one of the main thoroughfares in Metro Manila.
But in a television interview last month, Duterte said Cubao to Makati could soon be a “smooth-sailing” five-minute travel.
READ: Duterte: ‘Smooth-sailing’ 5-minute travel from Cubao to Makati soon
Even if there is no specific project along Edsa dedicated to alleviate traffic congestion there, Villar said some projects across the metropolis, which are nearing completion this year, will ultimately help reduce vehicle volume along the 24-kilometer highway.
Villar then said that among these projects are the C5 South Link, Skyway Stage 3, and Harbor Link extension.
Duterte previously admitted he failed to fulfill his campaign promise to ease Edsa traffic due to Congress’ refusal to grant him emergency powers. (Editor: Katherine G. Adraneda)
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.