SCREENGRAB from www.jointhearmy.ph
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Army’s recruitment website, jointhearmy.ph, went offline Tuesday morning after it was allegedly compromised by hackers.
“We shut down the website to prevent further complications to the site so we can investigate and rectify the problem,” said Army spokesperson Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala.
“At 8 a.m. this morning, April 30, the hacker group Pinoy Lulzsec sabotaged the site and effectively curtailed the dreams and aspirations of many young men and women as they take the first steps in joining the noble profession of arms,” he also said.
One of the hackers claimed on social media that around 50,000 applicants’ details were compromised.
But Zagala dismissed these claims saying the website was not part of the Philippine Army Network.
The website, put up with the help of reservists, was designed to step up recruitment efforts of the Philippine Army.
Zagala said they are already in touch with the creators of the website to take appropriate actions.
Pinoy Lulzsec has been previously linked to hacking websites of government and private firms. In 2016, it exposed records of millions of registered Filipino voters. /kga
PH Army steps up online drive to seek recruits
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.