HomeTopNews Philippines

PCSO: Duterte lifts suspension on STL, sets condition for agencies

LOTTERY CONTROVERSY According to Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson, the nonpayment of a player’s winnings may have angered President Duterte, who ordered the Small Town Lottery—a drawing of which is shown in the file photo above—lotto and other games operated by the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office suspended last week. The President has since allowed lotto operations to resume. STL and the other games remain suspended. —JOAN BONDOC

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has lifted the suspension on the small town lottery (STL) operations, Philippine Charity for Sweepstakes Office (PCSO) General Manager Royina Garma said.

In a video posted on Facebook on Thursday, Garma, however, noted that there are conditions laid out for agencies seeking continuous operations.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Pursuant to the recommendations of the Philippine Charity for Sweepstakes Office, the President lifted the suspension of operations of STL authorized agent corporations that are compliant with the conditions of their STL agency agreement and has been remitting its guaranteed minimum retail receipts,” she said.

According to Garma, one of the conditions is for Authorized Agent Corporations (AAC) to deposit a cash bond “equivalent to three months of the PCSO’s share in the guaranteed minimum monthly [retail] receipts (GMMRR).”

“[This is] on top of their existing cash bonds,” Garma explained.

Another condition would be the forfeiture of these cash bonds if the AACs do not remit their share to the government on time.

“Second condition, upon failure to timely and fully remit their GMMRR during the duration of their operations, the AACs cash bonds equivalent to three months […] shall be automatically forfeited in the favor of the PCSO, without prejudice to the other remedies that may be exercised by the government,” Garma explained.

“Third condition, each AAC shall execute a written undertaking that it shall comply with its obligations under the STL-agency agreement, and will not institute any claims, monetary or otherwise against the government, and/ or apply a temporary restraining order from any court to prevent the government from exercising its rights and prerogatives,” she added.

Last July 2019, Duterte suspended all of PCSO’s gaming operations, due to allegations of massive corruption in the office.  This ban was eventually lifted, although only on Lotto games.  STL, Keno, and Peryahan ng Bayan remained suspended then.

READ: PCSO suspends gaming activities; execs may appeal to Duterte

READ: PCSO resumes Lotto games, draws after Duterte lifts

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: BREAK: Suspension of Lotto operations lifted – Panelo 

ReplyForward

Read Next

LATEST STORIES

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.