HomeTopNews Philippines

Woman suffers burns due to microwaved eggs exploding in her face

A woman from Worcestershire, England, sustained burns after eggs she boiled in the microwave exploded in her face last Tuesday, Aug. 6.

Bethany Rosser microwaved the eggs after finding a technique online that claimed it was safe to do so, as per The Sun on Wednesday, Aug. 14.

ADVERTISEMENT
eggs, burns, exploded

INQUIRER.net stock photo

The 22-year-old read from cooking website Delish, that it was fine to heat eggs in a bowl of water in a microwave as long as salt was added to the water. The salt would supposedly prevent the egg from bursting.

The website appears to have since taken down the guide.

FEATURED STORIES

She heated her eggs in a microwave-safe one-liter jug with water. After heating the eggs for six minutes, as per the instructions, she removed the jug and let it cool.

When she checked on the state of the eggs, they burst onto the right side of her face.

“It only happened as I took them out,” Rosser was quoted as saying. “The eggs were fine in the microwave.”

MORE STORIES

MORE STORIES

She immediately called 999, the emergency hotline in England, while she ran cold water over her face. Still, her skin had already started to peel away.

Rosser was then brought to the burns unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. The staff treated her burns and let her stay in the hospital for the night.  

“It felt horrible, I was in total agony,” Rosser said in the report. “I could feel my skin burning for hours afterward — even while it was being treated in hospital.”

She said that her right eye, swollen from the explosion, has started to open, but her vision is still “very blurry.” As per report, it is unclear if the damage is permanent.

ADVERTISEMENT

She was also advised that aside from long-term skin discoloration, the burns would not leave her with scars. After the incident, she found that others have experienced eggs bursting after being heated in the microwave as well.

“I have a cousin who did the same thing,” she told the news outlet. “Luckily for her, the explosion happened in the microwave, not in her face.”

Rosser said she blames the website’s instructions for her injuries, and hopes others will never repeat her mistake. Ryan Arcadio/JB

RELATED STORIES:

Man’s vape explodes in pocket, gives him third-degree burns

Egg beer draws curious drinkers

Read Next

LATEST STORIES

MOST READ

Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.